1. Server upgrades complete - Enjoy a faster and more stable CandidEx!

June 2014 Newsletter

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hindshot, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Hindshot

Hindshot That Guy Behind You Staff Member

JUNE 2014 NEWSLETTER

June. For some of us that means the sweatshirts and snowpants are finally being peeled off to show us what has been hidden for a year. For others it is just another day at the beach (fuck you all!) and the level of dress of all the hotties remains the same. What all this means for CandidEx is that more photos will be taken and shared! Here are a few little tidbits that are going on around here to help make that push; from attachments raised, thumbnails shows, and our first real money contest!

ATTACHMENTS
    The original attachment system was set to 10 images and a maximum of 1mb per image. The reason for this was not to overload the server resources and to gauge how much was actually needed. After the past few months of testing, watching, and by popular request you can now post up to 15 images in a single post and 2mb per image. I am still trying to work out a deal for video hosting with a service that delivers fast and reliable hosting and streaming, but that is still in the negotiation phase.

THUMBNAILS
    Some of you might have noticed some weird things happening on the site yesterday afternoon as I was playing with some code. Now in the discussion view, new posts, watched discussions, and searches you will now see a thumbnail of the first attached image and the avatar of the original poster. (Before it was the avatar of the original poster and a smaller one with the latest commenter.) This way gives a little more of a preview of the content you are about to see and makes it easier to know if you have already checked it out. If there are no images or the original poster does not have an avatar, it will just show up with a default placeholder. For all other circumstances I think it looks a lot better; let me know what you think.

CONTEST
    Most of us have a competitive nature, and nothing is a better outlet than a contest! And nothing while gloating rights are fine and dandy, cash is an even better incentive to participate in a contest! This one is at least a month away as I work out the logistics, but soon enough we will have a candid contest where you can win some cash. One of the ideas that is floating around my noggin is something along the lines of $5 per entry into the contest and the winner (by community vote) wins the pot. Another is a free solution and then the pot is made up of donations or something like that. As you can tell, the idea is not fully formed yet, but it will come together as the days pass. The contests will be themed (which will be voted on by the community) and it will be something like 1 month to submit, 2 weeks to vote, and then 2 weeks to vote on the next theme...so 1 month contest followed by a month of voting. In the first model, unlimited entries for $5 each which means the more you spend the larger your odds. In the second model it would be a single entry per user so everyone has an equal shot to win. More logistics...but it is coming soon! Any ideas are very welcome, either comment here or start a conversation with me.

MONTHLY TIPS
    • Start a Conversation with someone to have a private message (PM) to them. You can also add other people to have a private group chat.
    • In the top right corner you can “Watch Thread” which will allow you to receive alerts and/or emails when that thread is updated.
    • You can use your mobile device (phone or tablet) to browse the forum and it will resize to makes things a little more responsive and still readable.
    • See something you don’t think is appropriate or is abusive? At the bottom of each post you will see the “Report” link to let the admins and moderators know there is something they should bring their attention to.

Any features that you would like to see added or problems you are having, don’t hesitate to drop me a line! Until next time...

HindShot
    MoniPere, wannadooo11 and coldskates like this.
  2. coldskates

coldskates Bringing teens to your screens Staff Member

Awesome news, HS! Really like the idea of contest, lets see how it works out. Oh and thanks for raising pictures limit! ;)
  3. thesniper

thesniper Well-Known Member

Sounds great. This place has really taken off and is becoming home again. Thanks to Hindshot and coldskates for your hard work.
  4. voyeur

voyeur Well-Known Member

good ... I like the competition, I'd like a private section with access to just posters
  5. Hindshot

Hindshot That Guy Behind You Staff Member

A "private section" is something that I have been wrestling around with in my head and still don't really know where I stand. There are positives and negatives to it and I can't quite figure out which side of the fence I land on. Seeing as how I didn't add one yet, I think I lean more towards not having one, but here is some of the reasoning that goes through my head...

Pros
    1. Reward those who post more
    2. A place to share content you wouldn't share to the general public
    3. Will feel more comfortable to post more because it's just to other active posters
    Cons
    1. Is it a reward or segregation from the community saying "I am better than those non-posting peasants"
    2. The limited section and private conversations are there for sharing what you don't want out there, so there are alternatives to a section just for it
    3. The public community activity goes down as they see less when more and more is private

As mentioned in #2 actually, a kind of private section could be had with the conversation system. You can add as many people you want into a conversation to share whatever it is amongst a select group of people. I know that is not the solution you are asking/looking for, but I still don't know how much of a benefit a private section would be. One thing I am toying with in my head is a voting system so that people can be voted in and out so that it is a community decision instead of one person deciding who gets the keys to the city. Decisions like this are hard! Everyone else weigh in one way or the other so that I can see where the masses stand...
    coldskates likes this.
  6. coldskates

coldskates Bringing teens to your screens Staff Member

I agree, HS. You can always share something with your friend via private conversation. Making private section can be frustrating for other members.
  7. hockyis1

hockyis1 Well-Known Member

The attachment upgrade is a very nice thing. Most of my pictures are around 3-5Mb, so allowing people to view a 2mb image will be nice. Thanks!
  8. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Your doing wonderful things with the exchange...making it better all the time...thank you.
  9. Saaber70

Saaber70 Well-Known Member

How are we coming along with the contests? We have not seen a news posting in a while? Just wondering ! Thanks!